CBCF Communications Internship Program
SPRING INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DATES: January 19 – April 30, 2021
The semester-long CBCF Communications Internship program sponsored by State Farm offers undergraduate and recent graduate students who are interested in learning about press and media relations on Capitol Hill. Interns work with the press secretary or communications director in Congressional Black Caucus member offices. Housing and a stipend are provided. This program is offered during the fall and spring semesters. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; should be at least a college junior or senior at the time of application; have a permit to work in the U.S.; and have a demonstrated interest in public service, governance, and the policy-making process. Recent graduates are eligible as long as they have not yet started post-graduate studies and have graduated no more than a year from the internship program start date.
You must use your full first and last name as your display name when creating your application account. This will allow us to locate your application when uploading your transcripts.
PLEASE NOTE: The online application has “two” segments. The first is the general application which collects materials relevant for all of our programs. Once you have completed this portion, you will be brought to a section showing all opportunities for which you may be eligible. The second part is where you can answer opportunity-specific questions for each scholarship/internship/etc., such as personal statements, additional references, art samples, etc.
_The two-part online application will require you to submit the following:
(1) Two short essays answering the questions provided in the application.
(2) Three electronically submitted letters of recommendation.
(3) A one-page resume listing extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service, and special skills
(4) In addition, official sealed transcripts from all institutions attended should be uploaded to your online application in the second part, Supplemental Questions, after you submit your General Application.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Part 1 – General Application
To assist you through the application portal, here are some screen captures
- Resume (1 page maximum) detailing your academics, extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service, and special skills.
- Recent photograph suitable for publication (i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph).
TWO (2) electronically submitted letters of recommendation. We suggest one come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). The application provides instructions for your references to upload their letters. Reference Portal Examples
Part 2 – Supplemental Questions (after submitting General Application)
- Official transcript (all pages, in color, and legible) scanned and uploaded as ONE (1) PDF file to the Supplemental Questions (which you will access only after you submit your General Application). We are no longer accepting applications via postal mail.
- Two short essays answering the questions provided in the application.
- An additional letter of recommendation (from an individual other than those requested on the General Application).
IMPORTANT Former interns, immediate relatives (defined as one’s parents, step-parents, siblings, spouse, children, step-children, foster children, in-laws, sibling in-laws, grandparents, great grandparents, step-great grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews) of a CBC Member, a CBC Spouse, a staff person of a CBC Member or Spouse, CBCF staff, a member of the CBCF Board of Directors, Member of CBCF, Corporate Advisory Council Member of CBCF, or any CBCF-sponsoring entity are not eligible for CBCF internship programs.