CBCF Louis Stokes Health Scholars Program, sponsored by United Health Foundation
*NOTE: This application is for a multi-year award that supports scholars throughout their undergraduate and/or graduate academic journey. The Foundation provides each scholar a minimum award between $5,000 and $10,000. The award amount is determined based on the student’s cost of attendance and financial need. Louis Stokes Health Scholars renew their scholarship by maintaining their eligibility and submitting mid- and end of year reports and materials.
This award will be given to 4 students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited four-year college/university for the current academic year. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, be studying a health-related field, and be a U.S. citizen or have permanent U.S. residency, and is pursuing a qualifying primary health care profession. This award is supported through our partnership with United Heath Foundation.
- Black or African-American U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. residency status
- Be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited four-year college/university for the current academic year
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Currently pursuing, or planning to pursue, a degree in a health-related subject during the 2019-2020 academic school year that will lead to a career as a primary health care professional. For this scholarship, primary health care professionals are defined as general practitioners, internists, family practitioners, OB/GYNs, pediatricians, dentists, public health professionals, mental health professionals, nurses (including advanced practice nurses, and nurse practitioners), physician assistants, and pharmacists.
- Exhibit commitment to undeserved populations
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
To assist you through the application portal, here are some screen captures
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Part 1 – General Application
- Resume (1 page maximum) detailing your academics, extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service, and special skills.
- Recent photograph suitable for publication (i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph).
TWO (2) electronically submitted letters of recommendation. We suggest one come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). The application provides instructions for your references to upload their letters. Reference Portal Examples
Part 2 – Supplemental Questions (after submitting General Application)
- Official transcript (all pages, in color, and legible) scanned and uploaded as ONE (1) PDF file to the Supplemental Questions (which you will access only after you submit your General Application). We are no longer accepting applications via postal mail.
- Electronic copy of detailed Federal Student Aid Report (SAR); this report comes from the US Department of Education and is typically 5 pages in length. This should be uploaded to the online application as a PDF document.
- Personal statement (250 word maximum). Students should use the same personal statement when applying for multiple scholarships.
- Essay prompt (500 word maximum)
Phone: 202.263.2800 | Email: email@example.com